Although when you I tried to enable the guest additions using the suggested open-vm-tools, it doesn’t run correctly and I’ve been unable to use shared folders between the host and guest in order to copy some files.
I accordingly used the legacy vmware-tools, and voila! everything worked fine!
- Host: Ubuntu 15.10 (Wily)
- Guest: Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS Server
- Hypervisor: VMWare Workstation 12 Pro
- Install the following packages: build-essential, linux-image-virtual, linux-headers-virtual
- create a directory /mnt/hgfs
- Right-click the settings on the VM -> Options -> Shared Folders and enable Folder Sharing and add a folder to be shared between the host & guest
Install the VMWare Tools:
- start the VM, then from the top menu click VM -> Install VMWare Tools. This should attach the VMWare Tools CD to the VM
- Mount the VMWare Tools CD: “sudo mount /dev/cdrom /media/username/cdrom”
- copy the “VMware-Tools-xxxx” to any folder and extract it
- Navigate to the created folder: “cd vmware-tools-distrib” and install: “sudo ./vmware-install.pl”
- Accept all the defaults
Mount the shared folder:
- “sudo mount -t vmhgfs .host:/ /mnt/hgfs”
That’s it! Enjoy!